- Who am I? I am a Savannah resident who would like to see support for alternate transit, use alternate transit and encourage/educate others to do the same. Who knows there are lots of others out there like me.
- What? Bicycles: rental options, bike shops, more bike paths and lanes, connecting those bike paths and lanes, bike racks, safety and education. Scooters: from rentals to ownership, parking and helmets. Walking: Suggested routes, distances, safety, connecting walking routes with bus services. Buses: What services are available and how in the heck do you get from point A to point B around here? And probably other fun stuff like the ferry, streetcar, kayaks and pedicabs.
- When? Now. Our roads are already crowded and providing alternate transportation options and programs takes time to fund, develop and execute. Think lifetimes. But there are also positive, shorter-term changes to be made.
- Where? Right here in Savannah, GA.
- Why? The list is long, but to start: Because offering options, as well as growing, supporting and maintaining those options, benefits our city, the people that live in it, and those that visit us. Because most alternatives are greener and can help make our city a better place to live in or visit. Because many options - like walking, cycling, and even taking the bus - which promotes more walking - are healthier for all of us. Because we live in a city with a moderate climate making it quite feasible to walk, bike, or scoot year-round. Because we have a lot of citizens without access to cars who benefit from more options. Because more eyes on the street can increase safety on our streets. Because there is limited parking downtown, our city is growing, and most of these alternates require limited or no parking. Because Savannah is a beautiful city that visitors and residents can appreciate on foot, bike, scooter, pedicab, even by bus. Because there are lots of other cities around the region, the state, the nation and the world that are doing this - so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.
Friday, January 18, 2008
I've decided to start this blog as a repository for ideas, websites & resources for transit options in Savannah, GA. Primarily, the focus will be on alternative methods of transportation to the old American favorite: the automobile.
Hello again. I'm back with some examples of alternate transportation websites. The web is a great way to let visitors and residents know what options are already out there. But don't take my word for it, check out some of these sites. Most of these examples are from other cities since we don't have the best examples in Savannah (yet).
- Athens, GA: http://www.bikeathens.com/
- Portland, OR: http://www.travelportland.com/visitors/transportation.html http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=34768& (Look at all of those transportation options!)
- Washington, DC: Metro Rail map overlaid on Google Maps - cool. http://www.wmata.com/maps/metrorail_street_map.cfm
- Paris, France: Even if you don't speak French, you'll appreciate this metro map. http://www.ratp.info/orienter/cv/carteparis.php
- London, England: http://www.visitlondon.com/maps/travel_maps/index